Tuesday, April 16, 2013

3/4/2013


Querido la Familia Sanderson,                                                                        3/04/2013

Just wanted to remind you all of a few things. This coming week is transfers and who knows if I'll get moved so yeah don't mail anything. President Trayner is going to do a huge transfer in preparation of the new mission president that is going to be coming in this June. I don't want to leave Rio Bravo, its by far the awesomest area in the mission and I am so lucky to be here. Yesterday one of the Assistants, Elder De La Fuente, called me up and said that an Elder might be going home early due to medical reasons and I might have to fill his spot as the Zone Leader in Brownsville. Hopefully that doesn't happen haha I don't think I'm ready to be a zone leader, I'm way too young. But yeah, hopefully I stay here in good ol' Laredo.

This week we found an awesome family. It was another testimony of how perfectly in control our heavenly Father is.  We were walking down this street towards a former investigator because our appointment fell through. We had never worked this area before much so we thought that we would knock a few doors, looking for clues if there could possibly be a family living there. We had this strong impression to knock this door and this young woman answers the door. She quickly explained that she only spoke Spanish. We answered back, "pues hermana hablamos espanol tambien." haha I love the shock on people's faces when they find out two strange white boys can speak their language. Anyways we began teacher the woman and these 2 kids that were there. Turns out the woman, Melissa, is just the families babysitter but lives with a friend who is a member who just immigrated here all the way from Honduras. After setting a baptismal date with her we took down her address and made an appointment with her the next day. We also set up appointment to teach the family that lives there. They are the Chick family (a strange name for a Hispanic family huh). So the next day we go over to Melissa's and we teach her and her 4 roommates. they all accepted baptismal dates and they all came to church this Sunday. They are so legit! Anyways after the lesson the friend that is a member shows up, her name is Reina. She just crossed over here about 2 weeks ago and has been searching for the church. She is an awesome member and has really provided a lot of fellowship for Melissa, Lupita, Jackie, and Norma. Their baptismal dates are for the 31st of March.

Ok Nate so here is the story with Omar. We found Omar about 2 months ago. He was a former investigator from Nuevo Laredo, Mexico. He is a party boy and loves to live his life with the attitude of "eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die." He is an awesome guy but his moral compass is a bit skewed. His conversion process was relatively slow. The biggest factor in his conversion was the Book of Mormon.  In order to get baptized Omar had to give up Heroin, Drinking, Smoking, and law of Chastity issues. What really made him decide to change is when he was reading in 3rd Nephi 17. In this chapter the Savior heals the multitude of Nephites.  After he read that he called us to come over. We came over and he told us how he wanted to give everything up...just to feel what it was like to be healed by the Savior. That was the turning point in his repentance process. After that first encounter of what the love of Christ could do for him he "threw down his weapons of rebellion" and followed our Savior. He still struggled and faltered along the way, but he could never deny that this what he needed, and so from there he drew forth enough strength to overcome his addictions.

Ok, and to answer your second question about sacrifice. Nathan, I don't really feel as though I have sacrificed that much. The closer I get to my Savior the more I realize how little he truly asks of us. Yes I had to give up some opportunities and other social things, but as you will soon find out...the mission is worth it.  I am convinced that the reason Missionaries are asked to give up so much is because now it puts us in a position that we can ask our investigators to make sacrifices. Because I have sacrificed somethings, I could then ask Omar to sacrifice his past and begin anew.  These sacrifices are not limited to just the full-time missionaries, but to all followers of Jesus Christ.  Sacrifice is necessary. I think that we must all spend a few minutes in the Garden of Gethsemane or walk a few steps up Calvary before we truly can begin to call us disciples of Christ. To call yourself a disciple of Christ we must be willing to take a portion of the pain or sorrows that He so willingly took upon himself. Sometimes these sacrifices are not fun or they might hurt us at times, but Christ bears the signs that pains and afflictions come from sacrifice in the service of others, sometimes we will have to as well. When I first entered the MTC I promised my Heavenly Father and my Savior that I would stand tall and faithful in whatever was asked of me.  One of my main goals on my mission is that when I arrive home and deliver my "homecoming" talk, I wish to be able to say that I, like the Savior, suffered the will of my Father from the beginning. I hope to be able to do that. Nathan, there is a huge difference between bearing witness of the Savior, and being a witness of the Savior. I believe the difference is sacrifice. So what are we going to sacrifice, when the bright morning star Jesus Christ sacrificed everything in our behalf?

I love you all and I hope all is well. Hope this helps with your talk! Tenga Exito!

con muchisimos amor

Elder Sanderson

No comments:

Post a Comment