Sunday, March 3, 2013

Feb. 4, 2013


Mi Familia y mis amigos,                                                                        2/04/2013

It was a wonderful week to be a Texas McAllen Missionary! This week the Lord blessed us with the baptism of O.J. Andrade! I am not sure I have written much about him before but he is 19 and part of a part-member family. The missionaries have worked long and hard with him but I guess he just wasn't prepared yet. Anyways, I forgot my camera at church again but I did snag a picture with him after his baptism that I will send. Also tomorrow is transfers! Elder Magallanes is leaving and my new companion will be Elder Wilding. E. Wilding and I were in the same MTC district so that should be pretty exciting! We are a super young companionship but we are going to tear it up. We have a companionship goal of baptizing 8 this month and I know we can get it done! haha its funny because I am going to be his Senior Companion and yesterday he called me to tell me that I better not boss him around haha. I am so stoked to work with this kid.

Ok so Stacie the rest of my email is going to be in response to your letter a few weeks ago. Last week I didn't bring my study notes but I have them today so here it is. I know it's intended for Stacie but hopefully you might all find it applicable.

Developing a Habit of Prayer and Scripture Study

Knowledge: They are both commandments. We have not been asked to pray or study the scriptures, but lovingly commanded to do so. Through prayer we can receive light and truth from the Spirit. Prayer has many dimensions: it is the intimate communication with God, the channel for inspiration, the most direct means of expressing gratitude, the posture and essence of humility, the witness of a broken heart, the voice of a contrite spirit, and the start and the finish of the quest for forgiveness. Prayer is the very soul of Gospel living. We know the scriptures to be the word of God given unto His children by his own voice, of by the voice of His holy angels and chosen prophets. The illuminate the pathway to Christ. Most of all, they are compelling evidence of His boundless love for us.

Desire: These scriptures represent some of the reasons Elder Sanderson studies and prays. Pay attention to the promised blessings. During one of your personal studies look these up :)

-Prayer: James 5:16. Helaman 3:35, Doctrine and Covenants 103:36
-Scriptures: 2nd Timothy 3:14-17, Alma 12:9-11, Alma 26:21-22, Jacob 4:6-8

Repetition: Stacie you must have a firm resolution to do these things. you must have the right attitude as well, or this habit will always be a struggle for you. These 2 quotes might explain why out attitude is important.

The first is from Elder Utchdorf in his talk, "Forget Me Not"
"Sometimes, in the routine of our lives, we unintentionally overlook a vital aspect of the gospel of Jesus Christ much as one might overlook a beautiful, delicate forget-me-not. In our diligent efforts to fulfill all of the duties and obligations we take on as members of the Church, we sometimes see the gospel as a long list of tasks that we must add to our already impossibly long to-do list, as a block of time that we must somehow fit into our busy schedules. We focus on what the Lord wants us to do and how we might do it, but we sometimes forget why. My dear sisters, the gospel of Jesus Christ is not an obligation; it is a pathway, marked by our loving Father in Heaven, leading to happiness and peace in this life and glory and inexpressible fulfillment in the life to come. The gospel is a light that penetrates mortality and illuminates the way before us. While understanding the what and the how of the gospel is necessary, the eternal fire and majesty of the gospel springs from the why. When we understand why our Heavenly Father has given us this pattern for living, when we remember why we committed to making it a foundational part of our lives, the gospel ceases to become a burden and, instead, becomes a joy and a delight. It becomes precious and sweet. Let us not walk the path of discipleship with our eyes on the ground, thinking only of the tasks and obligations before us. Let us not walk unaware of the beauty of the glorious earthly and spiritual landscapes that surround us. My dear sisters, seek out the majesty, the beauty, and the exhilarating joy of the why of the gospel of Jesus Christ. The what and how of obedience mark the way and keep us on the right path. The why of obedience sanctifies our actions, transforming the mundane into the majestic. It magnifies our small acts of obedience into holy acts of consecration."

The other is from President Monson.
To those within the sound of my voice who are struggling with challenges and difficulties large and small, prayer is the provider of spiritual strength; it is the passport to peace. Prayer is the means by which we approach our Father in Heaven, who loves us. Speak to Him in prayer and then listen for the answer. Miracles are wrought through prayer

I wish to share with you one of my favorite stories of prayer. It comes from the Old Testament times by the Prophet Enoch. So grab your scriptures and follow along ok? We don't know much about Enoch other than the fact his is awesome! In fact his entire city was translated and not lives with God. haha so one day Enoch is just out and about when the Lord comes and tells him he must preach repentance unto the inhabitants of the land or they are all going to be destroyed...pretty intense right? Thats a lot of pressure to put on just one man. So what does Enoch do? He prays. In Moses 6:31 we hear of Enoch's humble prayer. It reads, "And when Enoch had heard these words, he bowed himself to the earth, before the Lord, and spake before the Lord, saying: Why is it that I have found favor in thy sight, and am but a lad, and all the people hate me; for I am slow of speech; wherefore am I thy servant?" In this trying moments Enoch comes to the Lord with his difficulties and lays them at the feet of the Savior. The Savior's response to this humble prayer are my favorite scriptures ever. In verse 32-34 we read, "And the Lord said unto Enoch: Go forth and do as I have commanded thee, and no man shall pierce thee. Open thy mouth, and it shall be filled, and I will give thee utterance, for all flesh is in my hands, and I will do as seemeth me good. Say unto this people: Choose ye this day, to serve the Lord God who made you. Behold my Spirit is upon you, wherefore all thy words will I justify; and the mountains shall flee before you, and the rivers shall turn from their course; and thou shalt abide in me, and I in you; therefore walk with me." The Lord extends this powerful invitation to Enoch, and what does he do? In verse 39 we read, "he walked with God." Stacie we are not any different. These blessings are for us as well. In the next chapter we read of how the Lord came through on his blessings. In Moses 7:13 it says, "And so great was the faith of Enoch that he led the people of God, and their enemies came to battle against them; and he spake the word of the Lord, and the earth trembled, and the mountains fled, even according to his command; and the rivers of water were turned out of their course; and the roar of the lions was heard out of the wilderness; and all nations feared greatly, so powerful was the word of Enoch, and so great was the power of the language which God had given him"

I am deeply grateful for the privilege of going to my holy Heavenly Father in prayer. I am thankful for the countless times He has heard and answered me. Because He answers me, including sometimes in predictive and miraculous ways, I know He lives. Stacie I love you and I hope you know that. it you develop these habits it will change your life. The Lord has blessed me with the opportunity to see these habits change lives. i know the Savior is ever present in our lives and I believe He stands and knocks at the door. He is anxiously waiting to bless us with the slightest good we do. if you open that door, like Enoch you will bring about miracles. So much is at stake, please do not wait another day.

con todo me amor,

Elder Sanderson

No comments:

Post a Comment